Harleton was located between the Big and Little Cypress creeks, but it did not begin to grow until the arrival of the railroad here in 1891. The Hope Lumber Company was organized and constructed a large depot and commissary, installed a band sawmill, and extended the tram into the Eagle Creek area. The Hope Lumber Co. processed finished and rough lumber, and used steam as a power source. By 1900, the mill was out of business because the timber had been cut out. Marker located at Centennial Park SH 154 at CR 4335.