follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Forest Legacy

Anderson County

Angelina County

  • Angelina & Neches River Railroad: Texas Historical Marker
  • Angelina County Lumber Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • City of Huntington: Texas Historical Marker
  • City of Lufkin: Texas Historical Marker
  • Collins-Shotwell House: Texas Historical Marker
  • East Texas Early Logging Equipment: Texas Historical Marker
  • Emporia: Texas Historical Marker
  • Ewing: Texas Historical Marker
  • Gibbs House: Texas State Historical Marker
  • Homer Cemetery: Texas Historical Marker
  • Hoo Hoo Band: Texas Historical Marker
  • Hoshall Switch: Texas Historical Marker
  • Kurth Home
  • Lindsey Springs Logging Camp: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lufkin Civilian Conservation Corp Camp: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroad: Texas Historical Marker
  • Mt Calvary Baptist Church: Texas Historical Marker
  • Old Diboll Library: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of Manning: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of Martin Wagon Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary: Texas Historical Marker
  • Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill
  • Southland Paper Mills, Inc: Texas Historical Marker
  • Stranger's Rest Cemetery: Texas Historical Marker
  • Texas Forest Service
  • TLL Temple: Texas Historical Marker
  • Urban Wildscape Trail @ The Texas Forestry Museum
  • Bowie County

    Camp County

    Cass County

    Cherokee County

    Franklin County

    Gregg County

    Hardin County

    Harrison County

    Henderson County

    Houston County

    Jasper County

    Jefferson County

    Liberty County

    Marion County

    Montgomery County

    Morris County

    Nacogdoches County

    Newton County

    Orange County

  • Alexander Gilmer: Texas Historical Marker
  • Charles Holmes Saxon: Texas Historical Marker
  • City of Orange: Texas Historical Marker
  • David Robert Wingate: Texas Historical Marker
  • First National Bank of Orange: Texas Historical Marker
  • Henry Jacob Lutcher: Texas Historical Marker
  • Homesite of Dr. Edgar William Brown: Historical Marker
  • John Thomas Stark: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lutcher & Moore Lumber Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lutcher Memorial Church Building: Texas Historical Marker
  • Neyland-Gilmer House: Texas Historical Marker
  • Orange County: Texas Historical Marker
  • Robert B. Russell: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of End of the Line Station: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of World War II P.O.W.Camp: Texas Historical Marker
  • The Heritage House Museum of Orange County
  • The Sawmill Industry in Orange County: Texas Historical Marker
  • The W.H. Stark House: Texas Historical Marker
  • Panola County

    Polk County

    Red River County

    Shelby County

    World War II POW Camp: Texas Historical Marker

    Jefferson

    China

    World War II POW Camp: Texas Historical Marker
    Supervised by J.M. Combs, county extension agent, this program was the responsibility of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service at Texas A&M University. Combs determined the farm labor needs of the county and analyzed the local labor supply to coordinate his efforts with those of the base P.O.W. camp in Huntsville. The camp at Huntsville, one of the largest base camps in Texas, opened early in 1943. Its first prisoners were members of Rommel's Afrika Korps who had been captured in North Africa. German prisoners came from the European theater of operations, as well. Temporary branch camps were established in areas such as China, which were too distant from the base camp for daily round trips. The China branch camp opened in September 1944 on this site. Local farmers and others wishing to use the day labor provided by prisoners, picked them up at the camp in the morning and returned them each night. It closed in December 1945 and its 350 prisoners returned to Huntsville, then eventually to Germany. At the dawn of the 21st century the only remnant of the China base camp was the water well. Location of Marker: N. China Road, China, 2.4 mi N of US 90