Site of the Volga Community: Texas Historical Marker
Westward moving pioneers settled this area after the Civil War. Attracted by farmland, timber, and water they establish the community of High Prairie, later named Volga. At its height the settlement boasted homes, stores, cotton gins, sawmill, a school and church. The sawmill is believed to have been owned by W.D. James or J.R.Verby. It is only listed to have been in operation for 1 year, 1906. In 1918 many citizens died in the influenza epidemic. By 1945 there were 25 residents left and a church. The marker is located at 7.6 mil W of Lovelady on FM 230, West on Hyde's Ferry Rd 1.8mil to CR 3485, then N on CR 3485 .6 miles.