Smithfield was settled in the 1830s and was a community and steamboat landing on the Trinity River. It was a trading site for the Coushatta Indians, trappers, settlers that were in this part of Polk County. John F Carr came to Smithfield in 1839, and established a cotton gin, gristmill, and several saw mills. The Confederate soldiers also used the town during the Civil War. When stagecoach and rail traffic declined, the town's population shifted north. Marker Located 13.2 miles south of Livingston on SH 146, then 4 mil southwest on FM 2610.