Robert B. Russell was born in New Milford, Conn. and emigrated to San Augustine, Texas in 1835. He joined the Texian Army and fought at San Jacinto. He married Lavinia Brownrigg, June 1, 1841 and had 6 children. He published the San Augustine "Redlander" 1846-1850.They moved to Sabine Pass in 1850 and to Orange in 1854. Russell served as postmaster of Orange under the Confederacy from 1861-1865. He entered the lumber business about 1870, with a steam-operated shingle mill. He prospered until his untimely death in a mill accident. Marker is located at Evergreen Cemetery Border & Jackson St.