Settled in 1825 as Tevis Bluff; incorporated as Beaumont Dec. 16, 1838. Beaumont was an early trading post, riverboat port, lumber, rice and ranching center. Near the site of the Spindletop gusher, where oil became an industry, ushering in the modern port and shipyards, and a vast industrial and chemical complex. In the late 1800s, Beaumont became an important lumber and rice-milling town. Because Beaumont is strategically-located on the Neches River and had an active river port, the city was ideally positioned to capitalize on the lumber boom of the late 19th century. The city helped ship lumber across the country, most importantly to help rebuild the railroads after the Civil War. Marker is located at City Hall, 801 Main St.