In 1917, Robert Wier and the Lutcher and Moore Lumber Co., owners of vast tracts of virgin yellow pine in this region, constructed one of East Texas' largest sawmill complexes. The Wier Long Leaf Lumber Co. built a mill capable of producing 40 million board feet of lumber annually. The town also contained schoolhouses, hotel, railroad depot, and movie theater. After 25 years of continuous production, the mill closed in 1942. The original mill was replaced with an electric mill and the lumber company town of Wiergate continued to exist. Marker located next to Post Office on FM 1415, Wiergate.