follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Forest Legacy

Anderson County

Angelina County

  • Angelina & Neches River Railroad: Texas Historical Marker
  • Angelina County Lumber Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • City of Huntington: Texas Historical Marker
  • City of Lufkin: Texas Historical Marker
  • Collins-Shotwell House: Texas Historical Marker
  • East Texas Early Logging Equipment: Texas Historical Marker
  • Emporia: Texas Historical Marker
  • Ewing: Texas Historical Marker
  • Gibbs House: Texas State Historical Marker
  • Homer Cemetery: Texas Historical Marker
  • Hoo Hoo Band: Texas Historical Marker
  • Hoshall Switch: Texas Historical Marker
  • Kurth Home
  • Lindsey Springs Logging Camp: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lufkin Civilian Conservation Corp Camp: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroad: Texas Historical Marker
  • Mt Calvary Baptist Church: Texas Historical Marker
  • Old Diboll Library: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of Manning: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of Martin Wagon Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary: Texas Historical Marker
  • Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill
  • Southland Paper Mills, Inc: Texas Historical Marker
  • Stranger's Rest Cemetery: Texas Historical Marker
  • Texas Forest Service
  • TLL Temple: Texas Historical Marker
  • Urban Wildscape Trail @ The Texas Forestry Museum
  • Bowie County

    Camp County

    Cass County

    Cherokee County

    Franklin County

    Gregg County

    Hardin County

    Harrison County

    Henderson County

    Houston County

    Jasper County

    Jefferson County

    Liberty County

    Marion County

    Montgomery County

    Morris County

    Nacogdoches County

    Newton County

    Orange County

  • Alexander Gilmer: Texas Historical Marker
  • Charles Holmes Saxon: Texas Historical Marker
  • City of Orange: Texas Historical Marker
  • David Robert Wingate: Texas Historical Marker
  • First National Bank of Orange: Texas Historical Marker
  • Henry Jacob Lutcher: Texas Historical Marker
  • Homesite of Dr. Edgar William Brown: Historical Marker
  • John Thomas Stark: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lutcher & Moore Lumber Company: Texas Historical Marker
  • Lutcher Memorial Church Building: Texas Historical Marker
  • Neyland-Gilmer House: Texas Historical Marker
  • Orange County: Texas Historical Marker
  • Robert B. Russell: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of End of the Line Station: Texas Historical Marker
  • Site of World War II P.O.W.Camp: Texas Historical Marker
  • The Heritage House Museum of Orange County
  • The Sawmill Industry in Orange County: Texas Historical Marker
  • The W.H. Stark House: Texas Historical Marker
  • Panola County

    Polk County

    Red River County

    Shelby County

    Ratcliff: Texas Historical Marker

    Houston

    Ratcliff

    Ratcliff: Texas Historical Marker
    The town of Ratcliff was formed when a 32-wagon wagon train of settlers arrived from Georgia around 1875. JessH. Ratcliff (1844-1920) built a sawmill about 1885,The town of Ratcliff was formed when a 32-wagon wagon train of settlers arrived from Georgia around 1875. JessH. Ratcliff (1844-1920) built a sawmill about 1885, drawing more people. The Post office opened 1889, with Ratcliff serving as postmaster, and the town soon had several stores. Professional men included Drs. H.L. McCall and Jake Jackson. In 1901 Ratcliff sold his mill to Louisiana and Texas Lumber Co., then to Central Coal and Coke Co.,creating a vast complex known as the 4C Mill. A feud between the town and mill erupted when the mill tried in vain to develop a company controlled town. While the town flourished in the early 1900's, reaching a peak population of 5,000, by 1920 the surrounding 120,000 acres of timber had been cut. Although many residents moved away, the town received another economic boost in the 1930's when the Davy Crockett National Forest was designated and the Civilian Conservation Corps began the reforestation program. The development of Ratcliff Lake and Recreation area also became an area tourist attraction. Marker is located off of SH 21 in Ratcliff