International & Great Northern Railroad built a platform to service J.R. Stark's lumber and shingles sawmill in 1872. Originally known as Stark's Switch, the community was renamed Latexo when the Louisiana Texas Orchard Co. platted 3000 acres of fruit trees and a town here. By 1914 the town had a lumber yard, a sawmill, two general stores, two physicians, and an estimated population of 200. In 1915 a school was established, becoming the first school in Houston Co. to offer courses in agriculture. Even after the timber was stripped from the area farmers were able to continue to grow cotton and fruit. Marker located in Latexo on FM 2663 east .3 miles.