Upon suggestion of David Crockett, a visitor on his way to fight in the Texas War for Independence, the city of DeKalb was named for Maj. Gen. Johann de Kalb- a hero of the American Revolution. When the Texas & Pacific Railroad reached DeKalb in 1876, the city became a major lumber-producing center. The mills bought land in DeKalb and some of them cut around 40,000- 60,000 board feet of timber daily. Today, DeKalb is the center of ranching, truck farming, and pulpwood productions.
This historical marker stands at the junction of US 82 and FM 2735.