A former Palestine banker named H.L. Price founded Cuney in 1916. The town was named for Price's son Cuney. State wide promotion of the town resulted in rapid growth for Cuney, which soon included churches, stores, gins, sawmills, a railroad station, hotel and a baseball team. The Grady Franklin sawmill was one of the most successful mills around Cuney. It was open for 11 years and operated a tie mill and a diesel powered sawmill. Located at US 175 and FM 3327.