Cass County was named for Gen. Lewis Cass in 1846. In 1860, Linden became the county seat. This county contained numerous sawmill and lumber corporations such as Bivins, Venable and Co., A. M. Rhyne Lumber Co., and W.A. Douglas Mill. Most of these mills did not last more than a year, but a few such as the A.M. Rhyne Co. were in business for 53 years. Most of these lumber corporations used steam as their means of power. The marker location is in a roadside park, US 59, 7miles northeast of Linden.