This county was named in honor of James Bowie, 1785-1836;a member of Long's Expedition and defender of Texas liberty. It was created in 1840 and Old Boston, Texarkana and New Boston have served as county seat. The first sawmill was New Boston Lumber Company in 1893, which reportedly cut 15000 board feet of lumber daily. The newest and largest mills in Bowie County are the International Paper Company established in 1972. The International Paper mill, the Domino plant, is a paper mill producing bleached board and market pulp. The marker is located 2 mi. east of New Boston on US 82 in a roadside park.