The Texas Forest Service was created in 1915 by the 34th Legislature as an integral part of The Texas A&M University System. It is mandated by law to "assume direction of all forest interests and all matters pertaining to forestry within the jurisdiction of the state." It provides statewide leadership to assure the state's forests, trees, and related natural resources are wisely used, nurtured, protected and perpetuated for the benefit of all Texans. Today, the Texas Forest Service has offices across the state, including all the major cities. Headquarters are in College Station. The largest concentration of offices is in East Texas.